Matariki – Ride the Night
Ride briefing will be at 5.00pm Saturday 10th July 2020.
The ride is 3.6km long and follows the Mokopuna Trail clockwise. This is a wide family friendly shared (dirt) path in the Redwoods.
What do I wear?? Please make sure you and your little ones are dressed warmly. Decorate your bike with fairy lights and glow-sticks, torches, flashing lights and reflectors. We want to light up the night! (and not loose anyone!). **Every participant must have a torch or bike light for the ride**
Rules of the day
• All kids under 14 years must be accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
• Everyone must wear a helmet that fits them correctly (we can help you with that).
• The group will stick as close together as possible for safety reasons, therefore we will be riding slowly
• Please give way to pedestrians and ride with courtesy – Share With Care.
• At road crossings (crossings will be manned at the busy ones) whether they are manned or not, look out for yourself (& kids) at all times. Don’t be a sheep and follow the person in front!
• Please wear appropriate clothing for the weather.
• Take some water with you.
• Take any medication you may need with you.
• Every participant must have a torch or bike light for the ride.
A full safety briefing will be given prior to departure, Cancellations will be made via event info on our ‘Safe and Sustainable Journeys Rotorua’ Facebook page and Rotorua Nui website.
What should I wear?
Warm bright clothes, We want to be bright, fun and lit-up.
Will it be dark?
YES! Please have at least one light on your bike, but more is highly encouraged.
How fit do I need to be?
A low level of fitness is required. The ride will be 3.6km long.
Will we be riding on mountain-bike tracks?
The ride will be on the Mokopuna trail in the Redwoods. This is a wide family friendly shared (dirt) path. There are a few up and downs, lumps and bumps and it will be dark so a sense of adventure is useful!
Will we be riding on the road?
At times the ride may take in small portions of road riding. These will be managed appropriately by the ride leaders. In the main the ride stays on the shared paths in the Redwoods Forest.
How far is the ride?
The ride will be 3.6km long.
Can children come on the ride?
All children must be accompanied by an adult. If you are confident your child can ride up to 4km then they are welcome to participate. This is a family ride, so the pace will be ‘child friendly’.
Will there be any stops on the way?
We may stop at points of interest along the way.