We cater for children from birth to school age, along with their mums, dads, grandparents, extended whãnau and other care-givers. There is an emphasis on child-led play, with a wide range of activities, resources and experiences available, children are given opportunities to follow their interests and strengths as they learn to observe, explore, participate, try, wait, respect, experiment, wonder, climb and balance. At playgroup, children benefit from having regular opportunities to play, learn and socialise, while parents get to share these opportunities with their children.
Children benefit from playgroup by:
• Choosing their own learning and play experiences
• Developing skills
• Making friends in a mixed age setting and spending time with family
• Having fun in an engaging, safe and supportive environment
Parents benefit from playgroups by:
• Taking the lead in the education and care of their child
• Getting opportunities to play with and alongside their child
• Building lasting friendships with other parents in their playcentre ‘village’
• Feeling a sense of belonging through shared decision-making and responsibilities.
• Being given informal and formal opportunities to learn. Adults gain transferrable skills as they self-manage the centre